Aller au contenu

Good Manners

Tau

Messages recommandés

Hello,

I have a comprehension work to do about good manners. Some questions first and a subject to discuss.

Could you please correct it ?

Citation

I – COMPREHENSION CHECK

1/ The Germans and the Americans are the most punctual people while the least punctual are the British and the Italians.

2/ The British assume that the widespread understanding of their language means a corresponding understanding of their customs.

3/ The Germans and the French don’t like to eat and do business at the same time.

4/ Normally, you have to feed and water animals.

5/ The people on the pictures are Japanese beacause one of them has his head bowed, which is the way they greet.

6/ First, he shouldn’t complete a business deal with an older Japanese man or put his feet on the desk. Then, he should exchange business cards immediately on meeting and bow to greet someone.

7/ In England :

« - Hello! The weather is splendid, isn’t it? »

« - Hello! Yes, indeed! »

In America :

« - Hi! Where are you from ? »

« - Hi! I’m from Boston, Massachussets!»

« - Oh! What a coincidence, I was born in Boston! »

8/ In the Middle East, you must use the right hand for greeting, eating, drinking or smoking.

In Thailand, you should clasp your hands together when you greet someone.

In America, you should eat you hamburger with both hands.

9/ It’s not a good idea to say that you absolutely love your Egyptian friend’s vase because he would feel that he has to give it to you.

It’s not a good idea to go to Russia if you don’t drink alcohol because you must match your hosts drink for drink or they will think you are unfriendly.

It’s not a good idea to say « Hi! See you later! » when you’re introduced to someone in Afghanistan because you should spend at least five minutes saying hello.

It’s not a good idea to discuss politics with your American friend in a McDonald’s because you should eat your hamburger as quickly as possible and shouldn’t try to have a conversation until it’s eaten.

II – DISCUSSION

What are the 'rules' about greeting people in your country? When do you shake hands? When do you kiss? What about when you say goodbye?

In France, there aren’t strict rules about greeting people. Everyone does as they please although there are some conventional ways to greet.

Most of the time, if you are a man, you should shake men’s hands and do what french people call la bise to women. It is a kind of kiss consisting of a light grazing of the cheeks and may have regional variations. As a man, in informal situations, you can do la bise to your male friends as well. In formal situations, you should shake women’s hands, especially if they have a higher social status.

Either way, if someone comes towards you to do la bise to you or to shake your hands, you must do the same, otherwise they might think you are not polite.

Usually, you say goodbye in the same way you greeted. If you shook hands or did la bise as greetings, then you should do it again.

Thanks ! :)

Good_Manner.1.jpg

Good_Manners.2.pdf

Modifié par Tau

• E-Bahut

Bonsoir,

I – COMPREHENSION CHECK

5/ The people on the pictures are Japanese beacause one of them has his head bowed, which is the way they greet.

In America, you should eat your hamburger with both hands.

II – DISCUSSION

...............................and do what French people call la bise .......................

Il me semble bien t'avoir déjà posé la question : ne te relis-tu pas ?

Si tu réponds négativement, prends donc l'habitude de le faire car personne ne le fera à ta place le jour J.