Aller au contenu

Oral Bac

AmandineB

Messages recommandés

Bonsoir, voici mon oral, j'aimerais savoir s'il y a des fautes, merci d'avance.

Today my presentation is going to deal with the theme «Meeting other people, love and friendship», but especially with the notion of love. Love is a feeling everyone experiences but not always in the same way, it has many forms. Literature, as a reflection of life, is full of love stories.

We can wonder what are the different forms of love.

First and foremost, we’ll see love declared through Shakespeare’s work and then unrequited love.

As a starter, let’s tackle some Shakespeare, a renowned English poet and playwright born in 1564, who wrote the greatest love scenes of all time. My first document, Shakespeare’s greatest love poem, Sonnet 18, is the best known and most well-loved of all his 154 sonnets. It is also one of the most straightforward in langage and intent. His sonnet 18 focuses on the loveliness of a friend or lover, the speaker initially asking a rhetorical question comparing her to a summer’s day. He then goes on to introduce the pros and cons of the weather, from an idyllic English summer’s day to a less welcome dimmed sun and rough winds. Moreover, according to Shakespeare, poetry seems to be endowed with an eternal quality and the written words will remain whereas human life cannot last for ever. We can see different forms of love in this poem : there is passion. Indeed, the poet celebrates a beauty which is beyond description. He glorifies his muse and her extreme beauty and his love for her. He will immortalize her and her beauty in his poems. On the other hand, there is also self-celebration, the poet is proud of himself for preserving the beauty of the loved one for ever in his poems. My personal document, another poem from Shakespeare, Sonnet 116 is a poem about love in its most ideal form. It is a sonnet with 14 lines and a couplet written for a lover. Love should not meet obstacles when the two lovers agree to start a relationship based on trust and understanding. The first quatrain insists on the poet’s pleasure in love that is constant and strong and will not «alter when it alterations finds. Therefore, this means love will resist hardships. Besides, in the second quatrain, the lines proclaim that true love is indeed an «ever-fix’d mark»: «a star», this is a metaphor for a light that guides lovers and the light which guides the «bark», through the voyage of life. Eventually, in the last quatrain, the poet believes that time will not have any influence on love, even if love is doomed by fate and death. The metaphor of the «sickle» is the symbol of the passing time, the final judgement is death. However, love is not always reciprocal,this leads me to my second part where I’m going to talk about unrequited love.

In fact, this means a love-hate relationship when one is in love but there is no response from the loved one. My third document is an excerpt taken from a novella entitled The Ballad of the Sad Café written by Carson McCullers in 1951 who is an American playwright and author. It is a story of unrequited love. Indeed, Marvin Macy is deeply in love with Miss Amelia who married him but she refuses to consummate the marriage. She deliberately adresses a man and ignores her husband from the very first day of her marriage. The eccentricity of the characters is underlined. This is nothing like a classic wedding. The roles are reversed as Marvin Macy and Miss Amelia did not spend their wedding night together. We have a story of love illustrated through the romantic longings and attractions of Marvin Macy and Miss Amelia, both eccentric characters. The different characters’ behaviour, which is never revealed by the author, indicates that feelings of love and attraction are not necessarily reasonable or understandable to others. In fact, his new wife does not share his views of «Love» and he has to keep his love to himself. She is unable to love and he will suffer because of this.

In a nutshell, we have seen three different situations and three different relationships : passion in Sonnet 18, romantic love in Sonnet 116 and unrequited love in the excerpt of The Ballad of the Sad Café. The writers both use personification and other literary devices to breathe life into their creations.

Modifié par JRB
Titre modifié car site exclusivement dédié à l'anglais

• E-Bahut

Bonjour,

Today my presentation is going to deal with the theme «Meeting other people, love and friendship», but especially with the notion of love. Love is a feeling everyone experiences but not always in the same way, it has many forms. Literature, as a reflection of life, is full of love stories.

We can wonder what are the different forms of love are. < Ici “what” est pronom relatif, pas interrogatif. En conséquence, l’ordre des mots est celui d’une phrase déclarative/affirmative.

First and foremost, we’ll see love declared through Shakespeare’s work and then unrequited love.

As a starter, let’s tackle some a certain Shakespeare, a renowned English poet and playwright born in 1564, who wrote the greatest love scenes of all time. My first document, Shakespeare’s greatest love poem, Sonnet 18, is the best known and most well-loved of all his 154 sonnets. It is also one of the most straightforward in language and intent. His sonnet 18 focuses on the loveliness of a friend or lover, the speaker initially asking a rhetorical question comparing her to a summer’s day. < Nom composé de nom + nom / L’été ne possède pas le jour He then goes on to introduce the pros and cons of the weather, from an idyllic English summer’s day to a less welcome dimmed sun and rough winds. Moreover, according to Shakespeare, poetry seems to be endowed with an eternal quality and the written words will remain whereas human life cannot last forever. We can see different forms of love in this poem: there is passion. Indeed, the poet celebrates a beauty which is beyond description. He glorifies his muse and her extreme beauty and his love for her. He will immortalize her and her beauty in his poems. On the other hand, there is also self-celebration, the poet is proud of himself for preserving the beauty of the loved one forever in his poems. My personal document, another poem from Shakespeare, Sonnet 116 is a poem about love in its most ideal form. It is a sonnet with 14 lines and a couplet written for a lover. Love should not meet obstacles when the two lovers agree to start a relationship based on trust and understanding. The first quatrain insists on the poet’s pleasure in love that is constant and strong and will not «alter when it alterations finds. Therefore, this means love will resist hardships. Besides, in the second quatrain, the lines proclaim that true love is indeed an «ever-fix’d mark»: «a star», this is a metaphor for a light that guides lovers and the light which guides the «bark», through the voyage of life. Eventually, in the last quatrain, the poet believes that time will not have any influence on love, even if love is doomed by fate and death. The metaphor of the «sickle» is the symbol of the passing time, the final judgement is death. However, love is not always reciprocal, this leads me to my second part where I’m going to talk about unrequited love.

In fact, this means a love-hate relationship when one is in love but there is no response from the loved one. My third document is an excerpt taken from a novella entitled The Ballad of the Sad Café written by Carson McCullers in 1951 who is an American playwright and author. It is a story of unrequited love. Indeed, Marvin Macy is deeply in love with Miss Amelia who married him but she refuses to consummate the marriage. She deliberately addresses a man and ignores her husband from the very first day of her marriage. The eccentricity of the characters is underlined. This is nothing like a classic wedding. The roles are reversed as Marvin Macy and Miss Amelia did not spend their wedding night together. We have a story of love illustrated through the romantic longings and attractions of Marvin Macy and Miss Amelia, both eccentric characters. The different characters’ behaviour, which is never revealed by the author, indicates that feelings of love and attraction are not necessarily reasonable or understandable to others. In fact, his new wife does not share his views of «Love» and he has to keep his love to himself. She is unable to love and he will suffer because of this.

In a nutshell, we have seen three different situations and three different relationships: passion in Sonnet 18, romantic love in Sonnet 116 and unrequited love in the excerpt of The Ballad of the Sad Café. The writers both use personification and other literary devices to breathe life into their creations.

Ta maîtrise de l’anglais écrit est remarquable, j’imagine donc qu’il en va de même pour l’oral. :)

Bonne chance.