Aller au contenu

Idea of progress

opa33

Messages recommandés

bonjour, je viens de terminer la préparation de mon oral sur la notion idée de progrès. J'aimerais savoir si ce que j'ai écrit peut correspondre à cette notion. Et est ce que quelqu'un pourrait corriger les fautes si il y en a. Merci d'avance

This year we studied the concept of the idea of progress. This notion can be defined as an improvement, a development, a technical, scientific or social advance. To illustrate this notion, I'm going to talk about a social progress in particular which is the situation of african americans. We can ask how can we say that the situation of African Americans has improved? In the first part I would like to talk about the history of the slavery. In the second part, i will talk about the segregation and in the third part I'm going to explain the situation of african american since abolition of segregation and slavery.

In the United States, slavery began when the first African slaves were brought in 1619. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, black slaves worked mainly on tobacco and rice plantations. From the 1830s to the 1860s, there was a movement to abolish slavery in the USA. Many people took part in it such as Harriet Beecher Stowe, who published the novel against Slavery "Uncle Tom's Cabin" (1852). The novel had a profound impact on the general state of mind towards African Americans and slavery in the United States. It is considered that it helped the emergence of the abolitionist cause. Other authors took part in this cause as Langston Hughes with his poem I, too. In this poem he shows an evolution, the slave will surely be recognized for his work. From 1861 to 1865, the civil war occurred between the northern states which were abolitionist and the southern states. At the end of this war, the abolition of slavery is declared.

Even if slavery was abolished, the situation of African Americans has not improved yet. After 1865, segregation was put in place for fear of intermingling and by the psychosis of the rape of white women by African men. From 1865 to 1866 Black Codes were laws which were intended to limit the rights of black people. For example, Interracial marriages were prohibited. From 1876 to 1964 segregation was legalized by the Jim Crow laws . The black community was separated from the whites, they were not allowed to go to the same public places as whites. Then, many artists and people who are famous for changing things denounced segregation. They wanted that the persecution of the blacks stop. As for instance, Tony Morrison, an african american who wrote Sula. This is the story of Helen and her Daughter who are black. There are heading in a place where Jim Crow's laws are applied. The mum were verbally abused by the white train conductor and her daughter promises she will never let herself treated that way. The most famous example is the one of Rosa Parks who was arrested because she sat on a “white person” bus seat. After her arrestation, the African Americans decided to boycott the bus company. The other fight without violence as for instance, MLK who delivered a famous speach, I HAVE A DREAM.

Since the abolition of slavery and segregation, the African Americans have obtained the right to vote in 1965. In 2008, Barack Obama who is black becomes president of the United States for 8 years. This was unimaginable at the time of segregation. It's understandable with Harrington's engraving whitch represents two little black boys. In the legend you can read that the pupils of a class laugh when one of them says that he dreams to be president. If you look at it with to day's eyes the drawing take a new dimension. The child was right to dream because each dream can come true in América. We now know that a black american president was elected.

To conclued, African Americans have fought for their rights for a long time with or without violence. You can say that the situation of african american has improved. The general state of mind towards African Americans changed. They got recongnition. The Civil Rights Act was signed in 1964. It declared that discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, or national origin is illegal. It was originally designed to protect the rights of African Americans, but racism and discrimination still exist.

• E-Bahut

Bonjour,

Et de deux… ! :rolleyes:

This year we studied the concept of the idea of progress. This notion can be defined as an improvement, a development, a technical, scientific or social advance. To illustrate this notion, I'm going to talk about a social progress in particular which is the situation of african americans. We can ask how can we say that the situation of African Americans has improved? In the first part I would like to talk about the history of the slavery. In the second part, i will talk about the segregation and in the third part I'm going to explain the situation of african american since abolition of segregation and slavery. <  Un coup oui, un coup non ! Que t’ai-je rappelé sur les majuscules dans ton premier texte "Spaces and exchanges" ? Si tu ne tiens pas compte de mes remarques, autant m’arrêter tout de suite. Certes, les majuscules et les minuscules sont invisibles à l’oral mais pas à l’écrit. Sois donc attentive à ton clavier.

In the United States, slavery began when the first African slaves were brought in 1619. In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, black slaves worked mainly on tobacco and rice plantations. From the 1830s to the 1860s, there was a movement to abolish slavery in the USA. Many people took part in it such as Harriet Beecher Stowe, who published the novel against Slavery "Uncle Tom's Cabin" (1852). The novel had a profound impact on the general state of mind towards African Americans and slavery in the United States. It is considered that it helped the emergence of the abolitionist cause. Other authors took part in this cause as Langston Hughes with his poem I, too. In this poem he shows an evolution, the slave will surely be recognized for his work. From 1861 to 1865, the civil war occurred between the northern states which were abolitionist and the southern states. At the end of this war, the abolition of slavery is was declared.

Even if slavery was abolished, the situation of African Americans has not improved yet. After 1865, segregation was put in place for fear of intermingling and by the psychosis of the rape of white women by African men. From 1865 to 1866 Black Codes were laws which were intended to limit the rights of black people. For example, Interracial marriages were prohibited. From 1876 to 1964 segregation was legalized by the Jim Crow laws. The black community was separated from the whites, they were not allowed to go to the same public places as whites. Then, many artists and people who are famous for changing things denounced segregation. They wanted that the persecution of the blacks to stop. As for instance, Tony Morrison, an african american who wrote Sula. This is the story of Helen and her Daughter who are black. There They are heading in to a place where Jim Crow's laws are applied. The mum were was verbally abused by the white train conductor and her daughter promises she will never let herself treated that way. The most famous example is the one of Rosa Parks who was arrested because she sat on a “white person” bus seat. After her arrestation, the African Americans decided to boycott the bus company. The other fight without violence as for instance, MLK who delivered a famous speach, I HAVE A DREAM.

Since the abolition of slavery and segregation, the African Americans have obtained the right to vote in 1965. In 2008, Barack Obama who is black becomes was elected president of the United States for 8 years and reelected for a second term in 2012. < Attention : l’élection a lieu en novembre mais le mandat ne commence qu’en janvier suivant et ne dure que 4 ans.  Il a donc exercé sa fonction du 20 janvier 2009 au 20 janvier 2017 pour la durée de ses 2 mandats consécutifs. This was unimaginable at the time of segregation. It's understandable with Harrington's engraving which represents two little black boys. In the legend you can read that the pupils of a class laugh when one of them says that he dreams to be president. If you look at it with today's eyes the drawing takes a new dimension. The child was right to dream because each dream can come true in América. We now know that a black american president was elected.

To conclude, African Americans have fought for their rights for a long time with or without violence. You can say that the situation of african americanx has improved. The general state of mind towards African Americans changed. They got recognition. The Civil Rights Act was signed in 1964. It declared that discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, or national origin is illegal. It was originally designed to protect the rights of African Americans, but racism and discrimination still exist.

Archivé

Ce sujet est désormais archivé et ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...
spam filtering
spam filtering