Aller au contenu

Place and forms of power

ivoirienne

Messages recommandés

Bonjour, j'aimerais qu'on corrige mes erreurs et me dire ce que vous en pensez, merci.

I’m going to talk about the notion of "Place and forms of power".

First of all, I would like to give a definition of "Place and forms of power"

Each actor plays a role and exercise its power on others. In politics and social sciences, the power is the ability to influence the behavior of individuals. To live together, members of a community accept the rules, regulations, laws. This helps create social cohesion, but can also lead to tensions and conflicts. Even when the authority seems absolute, there is always counter powers aimed at limiting its excesses and resist.

To illustrate the notion, I have chosen two documents which are "The slavery Trade" ; "Rosa Parks, the civil Rights Movement"

PBQ : How did Black people rebel against power / discrimination?

Plan : First I will speak of black slavery in America, then, of segregation and finally we will speak of the presence of racism.

In the first part I - The black slavery in America

A slave is a person deprived of freedom and submission to the tyrannical authority of an individual or of a State. He is forced to forced labor. His master imposed him hardship. It can be bought and sold like an object. He may face torture.

First let's talk about slavery, in the 16th century with the discovery of America and the conquest of the New World slavery intensifies. The settlers are coming to America hundreds of thousands of black slaves from Africa. The Americans need strong labor for agriculture such as cotton, tobacco and rice. During this period, the white people had the powers on black people from Africa. African people were enslaved and deprived of all their rights as human beings. Slavery was a system in which blacks were the property of others. In the United States, the end of slavery was proclaimed in 1863 by President Abraham Lincoln. The blacks then become US citizens.

Transition : despite The abolition of slavery, blacks are not integrated, they are not considered US citizens.

In the Second Part : II - Black segregation in America after the abolition of slavery

Indeed, although slavery was abolished in 1863 we will see that it exist segregation. Black people do not have the same rights as whites. . 'Jim Crow' are the laws which prohibited some place to blacks. They do not share the same restaurants, the same public toilets and so on...

The major struggles for equality and freedom: example of the struggle for Civil Rights in the United States. The history has been marked by strife and challenge of power that were able to take non-violent forms such as the Civil Rights in the United States. This fight was designed to ensure Blacks the same rights as whites and began during the action of Rosa Parks who refused to cede its place to a white in a bus, was arrested to have violating the laws. The black community had boycotted of Montgomery buses. This was lasted 381 days. They had multiplicated the non-violent actions. The leader of this movement is the Pastor Martin Luther King who shone particularly during his speech "I have a dream" at the walk for freedom and employment in 1963. This movement will make possible the enactment of two laws that will put an end to segregation : the Civil Right Act in 1964 and the Voting Act in 1965.

The challenge of power by the black community is a counter-power. Despite the adoption of laws which guarantees citizenship of African-American peoples, there are always the inequality and discrimination against them. We have a counter-power, to defend a cause by non-violent actions

In the third part :

we will see that despite the struggle against the power by afro-americans, it exists racism against blacks.

Racism is the existence of human races which considers that some races are superior to others.
Racism is still present especially in football where supporters of Chelsea are involved in the largest number of racist incidents reported.

For example, they were prevented a black man of to take a train of Paris and they had sang a racist song.

To conclude, We could see black slavery end, segregation but also that racism is still present. The several events in the recognition of Afro-Americans has increased, although today the recognition is not total. In short, slavery is unjust power that leads to conflict.
 There is a form of protest against the power with demonstrations against segregation, and racism as the Civil Rights Movement in 1956 with Rosa Parks and Martin L. King. This allowed to reduce the inequality.

There are other powers such as the power of the media (TV reality, internet, written press), or even the financial power (Silver)...

Archivé

Ce sujet est désormais archivé et ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...
spam filtering
spam filtering