Aller au contenu

Oliver Twist

jen717

Messages recommandés

Bonjour,

Je n'arrive pas à répondre à la question suivante: What did you learn about charity in Victorian England from this text ? (Why do you think the "good" people of a parish felt obliged to help the orphans ? What was expected of the orphans? What happened if they didn't conform and why ? Explain the real reasons behind charity in Victorian England) Write up to 100 words.

voici le texte

Oliver Twist is an orphan and is poor. He now lives in the *workhouse with other boys. They are not given enough food and it is Oliver’s lot to ask for more *gruel that evening.

... The gruel disappeared; the boys whispered each other, and winked at Oliver; while his next neighbours nudged him. Child as he was, he was desperate with hunger, and reckless with misery. He rose from the table, and advancing to the master, basin and spoon in hand, said, somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:

“Please, sir, I want some more.”

The master was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupefied astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.

“What!” said the master at length, in a faint voice.

“Please, sir,” replied Oliver, “I want some more”.

... The *board were sitting in solemn conclave, when *Mr. Bumble rushed into the room in great excitement, and addressing the gentleman in the high chair, said :

“Mr. Limbkins, I beg your pardon, sir! Oliver Twist has asked for more!”

There was a general start. Horror was depicted on every countenance.

“For more!” said Mr. Limbkins. “Compose yourself, Bumble, and answer me distinctly. Do I understand that he asked for more, after he had eaten the supper allotted by the *dietary?”

“He did, sir,” replied Bumble.

“That boy will be hung,” said the gentleman in the white waistcoat. “I know that boy will be hung.”

Nobody controverted the prophetic gentleman’s opinion. An animated discussion took place. Oliver was ordered into instant *confinement; and a *bill was next morning pasted on the outside of the gate, offering a reward of five pounds to anybody who would take Oliver Twist off the hands of the parish. In other words, five pounds and Oliver Twist were offered to any man or woman who wanted an apprentice to any trade, business, or calling.

Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist (1837) (abridged)

Merci

• E-Bahut

Bonjour,

Si tu n'as pas lu le roman "Oliver Twist", ni vu le film qu'en a fait Roman Polanski, ni compris l'extrait ci-dessus, il te faut faire un minimum de recherche sur internet.

À toutes fins utiles, voici deux liens susceptibles de t'aider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Twist

http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/articles/poverty.html

Bon travail.

Merci, je vais essayer de voir les liens !!!

Ce que j'ai compris du texte par rapport à cette question, c'est qu'il font preuve de charité pour se débarrasser d'un orphelin, l'orphelinat le vend à n'importe qui, afin de ne pas nourrir une personne en plus. Je pense que ces gens ne sont pas de bonnes personnes, puisqu'ils ne prennent pas soin des orphelins.

Voila ce que je pense avoir compris du texte, mais pouvez vous me dire si cela correspond à la question ?

Merci beaucoup, vous m'aideriez énormément

• E-Bahut

En écrivant "c'est qu'il font preuve de charité", je crains que tu ne commettes un faux-sens sur "charities".

Pour le reste, tu as compris l'essentiel.

Dans le contexte de l'Angleterre du 19e siècle, les "charities" étaient des "oeuvres de bienfaisance" paroissiales, aujourd'hui nous dirions plus volontiers des "organisations caritatives".

Il faut absolument te remettre dans le contexte historique et social pour bien comprendre le texte et voir surtout que les orphelins étaient exploités de la pire manière qui soit par des gens qui les faisaient travailler du matin au soir et se donnaient bonne conscience en les nourrissant assez pour qu'ils ne meurent pas de faim...

L'orphelinat va effectivement se débarrasser d'Oliver Twist qui sera littéralement vendu pour cinq livres à un croque-mort.

Mais ça ne vient qu'après le passage que tu as à étudier.

Archivé

Ce sujet est désormais archivé et ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...
spam filtering
spam filtering