Aller au contenu

English presentation N° 1

Laurine.V

Messages recommandés

Hello! 

I'm studying English at univesity and I have to write a course. I do that but I'd like someone with a good English level to correct my work. 

I think that there are some tense and grammar mistakes.

Thank you in advance.

Here is my work 

Stereotype is a social psychology’s concept. We cannot speak about stereotypes without speaking about social categorization and prejudices

1) At first, we are going to talk about categorization:  

The categorization is a concept which belongs to the cognitive psychology. To have a better understanding of the world, we organize and we tidy up information. Objects are classified by categories according to their similarities.

In social psychology, categorization is applied to the people. We categorize according to the age, the sex... This process of categorization is on the base of stereotypes. For humans, we don’t just make a simple categorization. We are going to give to every social group member, the characteristics of the social group.

After categorization…. The stereotype:

We categorize people and objects according to the idea that all elements of a category have the same nature. Here is the foundation of stereotypes.

Lippman introduced the term « stereotype » to behavior scientist in 1922. For him, stereotype is a kind of world map which allows us to be directed social reality.

After that, a lot of scientists worked on this notion. Leyens gave a famous definition of stereotype: according to him, « Stereotypes are shared faiths concerning personal characteristics of a social group »

Stereotypes are spontaneous tendencies to generalize. Moreover, they have a consensual dimension.

They are two types of stereotypes:

-       Auto-stereotypes which are stereotypes on our social group.

-       Hétérostéréotypes which are stereotypes on the other groups.

Activation of the stereotype is almost automatic. These faiths are learnt very early. According to some studies, numerous stereotypes are learnt at six years old.

Stereotype isn’t a prejudice:

From the moment that we personally join a stereotype, he become a prejudice. The author who worked on this question is Allport.  The prejudice appears when a person has a unfavorable attitude towards someone because of his membership in a particular group. If the stereotype is rather a descriptive and collective notion. The prejudice would be more individual and more normative.

Conclusion:

To conclude, we are going to talk about « stereotype threat ». A person who is victim of a stereotype is going to be afraid to confirm this one. For example, one of a famous stereotype about women is that they don’t know how to drive. According to stereotype threat notion, they will be afraid to verify that, and this will be affect their performance!

• E-Bahut

Hello,

Welcome aboard! :)

Le 21/10/2017 à 19:05, Laurine.V a dit :

Hello! 

I'm studying English at univesity and I have to write a course. I do that but I'd like someone with a good English level to correct my work. 

I think that there are some tense and grammar mistakes.

Thank you in advance.

Here is my work 

Stereotype is a concept of social psychology’s concept. < L'emploi du génitif est grammaticalement erroné. We cannot speak about stereotypes without speaking about social categorization and prejudices

1) At first, we are going to talk about categorization:  

The Categorization is a concept which belongs to the cognitive psychology. < Revois dans ta grammaire les règles d'emploi/omission du déterminant "the", c'est essentiel en anglais. To have a better understanding of the world, we organize and we tidy up information. Objects are classified by categories according to their similarities.

In social psychology, categorization is applied to the people. We categorize according to the age, the sex... This process of categorization is on the base of stereotypes. For humans, we don’t just make a simple categorization. We are going to give to every social group member, the characteristics of the social group.

After categorization…. The stereotype:

We categorize people and objects according to the idea that all elements of a category have the same nature. Here is the foundation of stereotypes.

Lippman introduced the term « stereotype » to behavior scientist in 1922. For To  him, stereotype is a kind of world map which allows us to be directed xx social reality. < Ne manquerait-il pas une préposition ?

After that, a lot of scientists worked on this notion. Leyens gave a famous definition of stereotype: according to him, « Stereotypes are shared faiths concerning personal characteristics of a social group »

Stereotypes are spontaneous tendencies to generalize. Moreover, they have a consensual dimension.

They are two types of stereotypes:

-       Auto-stereotypes which are stereotypes on our social group.

-       Hétérostéréotypes which are stereotypes on the other groups. <As-tu déjà vu des accents aigus en anglais écrit  ?

Activation of the stereotype is almost automatic. These faiths are learnt very early. According to some studies, numerous stereotypes are learnt at the age of six years old.

Stereotype isn’t a prejudice:

From the moment that when we personally join a stereotype, he become a prejudice. < Et alors ? Serais-tu étourdie ? The author who worked on this question is Allport.  The Prejudice appears when a person has an unfavorable attitude towards someone because of his membership in a particular group. If the stereotype is rather a descriptive and collective notion, then the prejudice would be more individual and more normative. <Si j'ai bien compris...

Conclusion:

To conclude, we are going to talk about « stereotype threat ». A person who is the victim of a stereotype is going to be afraid to confirm of confirming it. this one. < Il n'y a pas d'ambigüité à employer le pronom neutre. For example, one of a famous stereotype about women is that they don’t know how are unable to / can't / drive. According to stereotype threat notion, they will be afraid to verify that, and this will be affect their performance!

Archivé

Ce sujet est désormais archivé et ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...
spam filtering
spam filtering