Aller au contenu

Spaces and Exchanges / Oral Bac

anonymousse2

Messages recommandés

Bonjour,

Je viens vous demander de l'aide pour la préparation de la notion "Espaces et échanges" pour mon oral d'anglais qui est en fin de semaine. 

Merci d'avance pour votre aide :)

I am going to talk about the notion of spaces and exchanges. First i’d like to give you a definition of the notion: A society can be approached from the point of view of its cohesion and openness, which raises questions about its place in the world.

The geography of trade routes and networks of influence, but also the discovery and conquest of new land areas often goes beyond cultural borders.

The border as a boundary, a limit between two spaces is sometimes seen as a form of protection against the opening to the other, the stranger, the foreigner but also some kind of appeal to a larger space. This space can evolve and take varied symbolic shapes: loss of landmarks in cities worlds, invention of new trade models, creation of large regional real spaces as well as virtual spaces.

Today we see that despite a high level of inequality in development, the world has never been as integrated, as the relationships of any kind between peoples and countries have become closer. Exchanges of all kinds, "borrowing" from language to language, culture to culture in literature, the arts, science, technology, philosophy, religion, and political and social institutions more generally in everyday use, take a new dimension in the unification of spaces and peoples, languages and worldviews.

Each society is torn by conflicts between particular and universal values, which often overlap oppositions between tradition and modernity.

Among the whole of the propositions offered by the notion "spaces and exchanges", I chose to speak about Canadian aboriginals which leads me to my focus question: What do borders mean to aboriginals in Canada? To illustrate this I have chosen 3 documents: Life on the reserve, Citizenship and stop stealing our land. I have chosen these documents because they are a perfect example of aboriginal’s social and territorial situation nowadays in Canada and the United States.

The first document I have chosen is a film poster for the premiere of the film Life on the reserve by Graham Shonfield posted on Carleton University’s website on March 2011. This poster indicates that the documentary is about what life on a First Nation Reserve in Canada is really like.

Graham must have made this documentary to, in a way, help these people. During his period as a volunteer, Graham’s vision of the reserve completely changed as he was welcomed into their homes and was able to spend quality time with them. However, he explains the numerous issues that they have to face everyday, such as not having access to high schools forcing teenagers to leave the reserve but there are also problems regarding the quality of the water.

The poster makes us realize the issues of being attributed reserves as places to live. By analyzing this poster we can create a link between the notion and the issues due to the spaces attributed to the First Nations.

The second document linked to my focus question is an excerpt from One good story, that one (1993), by the Canadian author of Cherokee and European descent, Thomas King, called Citizenship. The excerpt deals with the problem of crossing American and Canadian borders as a Blackfoot. In the text the narrator and his mother are from the Canadian side of the Blackfoot territory and they have to cross the border to visit the narrator’s sister: Laetitia who lives in Salt Lake city.

The problem is that, in order to cross the border, says the Canadian border guide, they have to be american or canadian but they claim to be Blackfoot which cause them to be stuck in the no man’s land till the arrival of the journalist which allows them to cross the border.

After reading this excerpt we understand that the author criticizes the government for not doing enough in order to make people know about Blackfoot ’s rights. The excerpt is linked to the notion as it shows how it can be difficult to go from a space to another, to cross a border.

The third and last document i chose to present is a AFP article, the AFP being a not-for-profit international news agency. Dated June,15th 2008. The text shows the problems linked to the race for the Arctic resources that makes the Inuit want to be heard as countries like Canada, Russia, United States, Norway and Denmark.

Inuit rights are defended by the Greenland politician Aqqaluk Lynge. The agency gives an unbiased opinion and lets us make our own minds up about the subject. It simply provides us with the information concerning nowadays Inuit’s territory issues. It is a relevant illustration of the notion of spaces and exchanges as it shows just how the territories and borders may not be taken in to account for what concerns resources.

In all three documents, the idea put forward is that the Canadian aboriginals are a perfect example of territorial issues as they are not only in conflict with other nations for their own resources and territories but also because it’s difficult for them to cross the canadian-american border and have a functional access to education and water.

For as far as I’m concerned this documents show the issues linked to the aboriginals but only the first one reminds us that they are people like us. By telling us a bit more about their personality, Graham Shonfield is the only one to give us another perspective on them. This important side is due to the fact that he is actually the only one that got to actually spend some real time with the aboriginals. Although, in what concerns the race for the Arctic resources It is important that we are aware of the dangers The notion of spaces and exchanges can imply as it is linked to the one of power.

• E-Bahut

Bonjour,

Le 29/05/2017 at 00:35, anonymousse2 a dit :

Bonjour,

Je viens vous demander de l'aide pour la préparation de la notion "Espaces et échanges" pour mon oral d'anglais qui est en fin de semaine. 

Merci d'avance pour votre aide :)

I am going to talk about the notion of spaces and exchanges. First i’d like to give you a definition of the notion: A society can be approached from the point of view of its cohesion and openness, which raises questions about its place in the world.

The geography of trade routes and networks of influence, but also the discovery and conquest of new land areas often goes beyond cultural borders.

The border as a boundary, a limit between two spaces is sometimes seen as a form of protection against the opening to the other, the stranger, the foreigner but also some kind of appeal to a larger space. This space can evolve and take varied symbolic shapes: loss of landmarks in cities worlds, invention of new trade models, creation of large regional real spaces as well as virtual spaces.

Today we see that despite a high level of inequality in development, the world has never been as so well integrated, as the relationships of any kind between peoples and countries have become closer. Exchanges of all kinds, "borrowing" from language to language, culture to culture in literature, the arts, science, technology, philosophy, religion, and political and social institutions more generally in everyday use, take a new dimension in the unification of spaces and peoples, languages and worldviews.

Each society is torn by conflicts between particular and universal values, which often overlap oppositions between tradition and modernity.

Among the whole of all the propositions offered by the notion "spaces and exchanges", I chose to speak about Canadian aboriginals, which leads led me to my focus question: What do borders mean to aboriginals in Canada? To illustrate this I have chosen 3 documents: Life on the reserve, Citizenship and stop stealing our land. I have chosen these documents because they are a perfect example of aboriginal’s social and territorial situation nowadays in Canada and the United States.

The first document I have chosen is a film poster for the premiere of the film Life on the reserve by Graham Shonfield posted on Carleton University’s website on March 2011. This poster indicates that the documentary is about what life on a First Nation Reserve in Canada is really like.

Graham must have made this documentary to, in a way, help these people. During his period as a volunteer, Graham’s vision of the reserve completely changed as he was welcomed into their homes and was able to spend quality time with them. However, he explains the numerous issues that they have to face everyday, such as not having access to high schools forcing teenagers to leave the reserve but there are also problems regarding the quality of the water.

The poster makes us realize the issues of being attributed reserves as places to live. By analyzing this poster we can create a link between the notion and the issues due to the spaces attributed to the First Nations.

The second document linked to my focus question is an excerpt from One good story, that one (1993), by the Canadian author of Cherokee and European descent, Thomas King, called Citizenship. The excerpt deals with the problem of crossing American and Canadian borders as a Blackfoot. In the text the narrator and his mother are from the Canadian side of the Blackfoot territory and they have to cross the border to visit the narrator’s sister: Laetitia who lives in Salt Lake city.

The problem is that, in order to cross the border, says the Canadian border guide, they have to be American or Canadian but they claim to be Blackfoot, which causes them to be stuck in the no man’s land till the arrival of the journalist which allows them to cross the border. <<Attention, si tu ne prononces pas la sifflante finale du verbe, cela "s'entendra" et sera éventuellement sanctionné. Au vu de la qualité de ton anglais, j'imagine que c'est un simple oubli de frappe mais sois-y attentif surtout à l'écrit.

After reading this excerpt we understand that the author criticizes the government for not doing enough in order to make people know about Blackfoot ’s rights. The excerpt is linked to the notion as it shows how it can be difficult to go from a space to another, to cross a border.

The third and last document i chose to present is an AFP article, the AFP being a not-for-profit international news agency. Dated June,15th 2008. The text shows the problems linked to the race for the Arctic resources that makes the Inuit want to be heard as countries like Canada, Russia, the United States, Norway and Denmark.

Inuit rights are defended by the Greenland politician Aqqaluk Lynge. The agency gives an unbiased opinion and lets us make our own minds up about the subject. It simply provides us with the information concerning nowadays Inuit’s territory issues. It is a relevant illustration of the notion of spaces and exchanges as it shows just how the territories and borders may not be taken into account for what concerns resources.

In all three documents, the idea put forward is that the Canadian aboriginals are a perfect example of territorial issues as they are not only in conflict with other nations for their own resources and territories but also because it’s difficult for them to cross the Canadian-American border and have a functional access to education and water.

For as far as I’m concerned this these documents show the issues linked to the aboriginals but only the first one reminds us that they are people like us. By telling us a bit more about their personality, Graham Shonfield is the only one to give us another perspective on them. This important side is due to the fact that he is actually the only one that got to actually spend some real time with the aboriginals. Although, in what concerns the race for the Arctic resources It is important that we are aware of the dangers The notion of spaces and exchanges can imply as it is linked to the one of power.

Very good job!  I did enjoy the reading. :)

Archivé

Ce sujet est désormais archivé et ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...
spam filtering
spam filtering